LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

I hired an employee from a staffing agency and their fee was

I hired an employee from a staffing agency and their fee was 20% of the annual salary ($70,000) totaling $14,000. The employee was not qualified for the job as represented the firm and quit at 60 days; during his 90 day probationary period. I was making payments to the staffing firm and have paid $12,000 of the $14,000 fee and now I'm being sued for the remaining $2000 + interest in small claims court. I feel that the service wasn't provided for what I paid as the employee only worked 2 months and I'm paying a percentage on an annual salary. Is the law in CA better that I argue the fee should be prorated or counter-sue for negligence for providing a faulty service to reclaim some of the money I overpaid?
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 2 years ago.

LADYLAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com!

LADYLAWYER :

You should counter-sue for breach of contract and ask that they prorate the salary for the time she was there.

LADYLAWYER :

You should also ask for any damages based on her quitting that you may have.

Customer:

It's small claims- I believe I max at $5k. However, I just want it done quickly. Should I list my damages and just ask for the $5000 to settle?

LADYLAWYER :

Yes, you should list the full amount. However, the max in CA is $7,500

Customer:

business

LADYLAWYER :

Okay, then yes, the full amount.

Customer:

thank you

LADYLAWYER :

You're very welcome! Based on what you have told me, the law seems to be on your side here.

LADYLAWYER :

If you have any more questions, I am happy to answer them! If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts