John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

For medical insurance, what does dependent child under 26

Customer Question

For medical insurance, what does 'dependent child under 26 years' mean exactly? Would a 22 year old graduating student teacher who has been hired as a teachers' aid for the next 4 months (option to enroll in insurance plan) still be covered under my family insurance plan? The student has been informed that in 4 months she will then be hired as a substitute teacher with no benefits offered. Student is my daughter.
Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

Generally this will include your child until he is 26 even if offered other employer sponsored insurance. However, there are some plans that are considered "Grandfathered" that can refuse to cover him if he has other employer sponsored health insurance.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear John…”

My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.