Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

1. The Fourth Amendment protects Americans from: (Points: 5)

all searches.
all unreasonable searches.
searches conducted only by federal officers.
searches conducted only by state officers.

2. Which constitutional amendment protects the individual against self-incrimination? (Points: 5)
First
Second
Fourth
Fifth

3. The individual right that is considered to be the most fundamental to the maintenance of a democratic society is: (Points: 5)
the right to an attorney.
freedom of expression.
the right to a jury trial.
protection against illegal searches and seizures.

4. Justice Holmes’ “clear and present danger” test holds that government can: (Points: 5)
restrict speech that threatens national security.
restrict any speech of an inflammatory nature.
engage in prior restraint of the press whenever national security is at issue.
restrict speech that is disrespectful to specific classes of citizens.

5. Which constitutional amendment has enabled the Supreme Court to protect the civil liberties contained in the Bill of Rights from being abridged by state and local officials? (Points: 5)
First
Fifth
Tenth
Fourteenth

6. Government can lawfully prevent a political rally from taking place: (Points: 5)
under no circumstances; people have an unconditional right to express their views.
when the rally would cost money because of the need for police protection.
when the views of those holding the rally are unpopular.
when it can demonstrate clearly that a non-preventable evil will result if the rally is held.

7. Spoken words that are known to be false and harmful to a person’s reputation are an example of: (Points: 5)
libel.
slander.
blasphemy.
symbolic speech.

8. Which of the following is correct with regard to obscenity and the law? (Points: 5)
Obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment.
Obscenity is never unlawful.
Child pornography is protected by the First Amendment.
Obscenity has been easy for courts to define with precision.

9. The establishment clause prohibits government from: (Points: 5)
establishing exceptions to the Bill of Rights.
favoring one religion over another or supporting religion over no religion.
interfering with freedom of assembly.
interfering with the right to bear arms.

10. The Supreme Court has reasoned that a right of privacy is provided by: (Points: 5)
the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
the Ninth Amendment, which says that people’s rights are not limited to those enumerated in the Constitution.
the Tenth Amendment, which reserves to the people and the states those powers not granted to the federal government.
a reasonable interpretation of other constitutional protections of individual rights.

11. The right to privacy was instrumental in which decision? (Points: 5)
Roe v. Wade
Mapp v. Ohio
Schenck v. United States
Miranda v. Arizona

12. Justice in the U.S. criminal justice system is defined primarily in terms of whether: (Points: 5)
those convicted are actually guilty.
those convicted have the opportunity for appeal.
those convicted are treated humanely while imprisoned.
the proper procedures for conviction have been followed.

13. The Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka ruling (1954) held that racial segregation in schools violated the: (Points: 5)
due process clause of the Fifth Amendment.
due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
Civil Rights Act.

14. The movement for women’s rights was initially aligned with: (Points: 5)
the abolition movement.
the Progressive movement.
the labor movement.
the modern civil rights movement.

15. Women in America obtained the right to vote in national elections in: (Points: 5)
1790.
1865.
1890.
1920.

16. In applying the reasonable basis test, courts tend to: (Points: 5)
give government the benefit of the doubt.
assess whether a law had the support of a two-thirds majority of legislators at the time of passage.
determine whether a law is working well and, if so, to allow it to remain in effect.
prohibit any law that results in the unequal treatment of Americans.

17. Any law that attempts a racial or ethnic classification is subject to the: (Points: 5)
reasonable basis test.
strict scrutiny test.
precedent basis test.
clear and present danger test.

18. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was aimed chiefly at eliminating discrimination: (Points: 5)
by governments in their conduct of elections (e.g., registration, placement of polling booths).
by private individuals in their social relations—bigoted statements and other acts of prejudice are unlawful under most circumstances.
by governments in their job practices and provision of services (e.g, schools, roads).
by private individuals in their employment practices and in their operation of public accommodations (e.g., hotels, restaurants).

19. De jure discrimination and de facto discrimination are two ways in which some Americans are less equal than others. Examples of public policies designed to address each of these forms of discrimination are: (Points: 5)
the Brown decision (de jure) and affirmative action (de facto).
affirmative action (de jure) and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 (de facto).
the Voting Rights Act of 1965 (de jure) and the Brown decision (de facto).
the Supreme Court’s busing decisions (de jure) and affirmative action decisions (de facto).

20. An example of a policy that aimed chiefly to overcome de facto discrimination is: (Points: 5)
the Equal Rights Amendment.
busing to achieve racial integration in the schools.
the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka ruling.
the Fourteenth Amendment.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
1) All unreasonable searches.

2) Fifth

3) Freedom of Expression

4) Restrict speech that threatens national security

5) Tenth

6) when it can demonstrate clearly that a non-preventable evil will result if the rally is held.

7) Slander

8) Obscenity not protected by 1st Amendment

9) Favoring one religion (closest answer, but really it is prevention of government from establishing a religion, but your answer as written is the liberal version of what the constitution really says and comes from the Jefferson Papers).

10) Ninth Amendment

11) Roe v. Wade

12) Proper procedures for convictions have been followed

13) 14th Amendment

14) Abolition Movement

15) 1920

16) Gives government benefit of doubt

17) Strict scrutiny

18) Private individuals on employment and public accommodations

19) Voting rights act and Brown decision

20) 14th amendment

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law