Juliana, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney

Is telemedicine legal in Pennsylvania?

Is telemedicine legal in Pennsylvania?

Thanks for your question. I am licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania (my license status in that state is currently "retired"), and I will be happy to assist you.

A full, unrestricted medical license is required to practice telemedicine in Pennsylvania. At this time, however, Pennsylvania does not have specific regulations regarding the practice of medicine over the internet. Physicians are obligated under section 41 of the Medical Practice Act (63 P.S. 422.41) to "adhere to accepted standards of practice."

So basically, a medical license is required, but physicians have no guidance regarding how they should practice medicine over the internet. They simply have to follow the same standards as ordinary (i.e., non-telemedical) physicians within the state.

Hope this helps.