Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

my fiancee is in nigeria africa now and has finished up business

my fiancee is in nigeria africa now and has finished up business there... but his luggage has been confiscated when they arrived there and hasnt been returned after a week
they say the man to speak to at the american embassy is gone and wont help him any
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am sorry for your fiance's situation. Do you know why it was confiscated? Did the authorities ever give a reason?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he cant get any help from american embassy

the head man is on a mission and has been since he got there

i told him to be persistent

u can reach me at(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

im having to go to work now

Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

JustAnswer experts cannot communicate via any other medium than here, I am sorry to say.

I will tell you right now, the likelihood is that the authorities are hoping for a bribe. Nigeria is basically a corrupt state, and to get anything done, a bribe is necessary. In fact, Nigerians call it 'greasing' the way. I am not saying that he should seek out however is in charge and bribe them, because that may be a violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. However, he does have to find whoever is in charge and demand an explanation. Without directly stating it, they will most likely demand a 'payment' for tax, tariff, etc. They see this as a chance to get money out of an American. This happens all the time. I am sorry.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! Really! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.