Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If a recent ruling by a judge is not acceptable, what recourse

If a recent ruling by a judge is not acceptable, what recourse do we have? This is a parenting agreement contempt/change issue. It is my daughters case. Long story short, after attempting mediation (per the agreement) with her attorney, which failed, filed for a court date, waited 3 months for the actual date, 1 week prior to the actual week of the date a judge said go to mediation first. In the meantime, the dad continues to refuse to pay his portion of daycare, shows up late to pickup/drop off, takes the child from school when it is not his day, and many other tatics to make things difficult, which started up again once he was informed the court date was cancelled. The mediation can not be completed (for the 2nd time) until January, it is costing my daughter $500 a month for daycare not to mention the addtional cost of mediation. How can someone make this decision and affect lives without any recourse? The police will not help when the dad withholds the child, they say go to court. the court will not take the case for months.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Judges get paid to make decisions like this and unfortunately they are the king of their court. If someone does not like the order of the judge, they can file an appeal to the court of appeals. The problem here is that to appeal a judge's ruling it has to be a final order and you cannot appeal an interlocutory order. You can file a motion to reconsider with the judge and plead your case again with the reasons for why you want them to reconsider, but really in these cases legally those are your only two legal recourses.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law