Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was a member of a volunteer fire department in Pennsylvania

I was a member of a volunteer fire department in Pennsylvania until October 21 of this year.
Ifound documentation that showed that our Association treasurer was writing checks to set
up office space and equipment for the implementation of a FEMA SAFER GRANT that was awarded to our department as well as four others. None of these expenditures had been previously discussed or approved. I brought this up to the Association president and the Chief at the brginning. It was decided that an attorney should be retained immediately.
After consulting an attorney, he suggested that the District Attorney would be better for us
because of cost. The chief and I met with the DA and they currently have an open invest-
igation. (since August) I was the "point man" with the DA and had several meetings
with the DA's office. The trial board of the fire department completely exonerated the
treasurer and in a show of force, the chief, myself and four other members turned in
letters of resignation. My last day was to be October 21st. At the October 19th
meeting, I asked for my letter back and was told that I would have to fill out a new
application and serve another six month probationary period. I refused these con-
ditions. I have just learned that the chief and another fireman have been completely
re-instated without conditions. DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE?
Unfortunately, you probably don't since you turned in a letter of resignation.

Theoretically you could make an argument that you were discriminated against for "whistle blowing" but it would be a very hard argument to make since the other two were reinstated and they weren't punished.

You can hire an attorney to pursue it but the attorney is likely going to want money up front and won't take it on a % basis under these facts.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doesn't it matter that I asked for my letter back before the end date? They were asking

me to reaaply before my "employment period" was ended.

No, not really. There is no law requiring them to give the letter back or allow you to rescind the resignation.