Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

What are the legal ramifications, if any, when the other woman

What are the legal ramifications, if any, when the other woman tells the wife of a long affair with the married husband? Would "he" the husband who I was involved be able to file harrassment, or detriment of character type of case, or would the wife be able to do anything to me legally? I thought my telling her would free me of the issues, and also warn her as to the activities of her husband?
HelloCustomer

There would little legal ramifications if any. People used to be able to sue "the other woman" for breaking up a marriage or seducing the husband etc. These lawsuits used to be called "alienation of affections" lawsuits. But most states, including Virginia have abolished such lawsuits. Virginia abolished such lawsuits by statutes in Virginia Code § 8.01-220. So, the wife would not be able to bring any lawsuit against you.

As for the husband, there is really no basis for him to bring a lawsuit either since he was a willing participant in the affair.

If you continued to contact him or harassed him after the affair ended, then there might be some claim of civil harassment, but that does not appear to be the case in your situation.

Thomas
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so if i were to tell her, would it be ok to send an email, letter, or meet her in person? Or, does it matter?
It does not matter legally. How to handle such a situation personally given the unique circumstances and personalities involved I can not tell you.

Thomas