Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Hello - I have an active Federal case - Florida local

Hello -

I have an active Federal case -

Florida local rule 3.01(g), (Before filing any motion in a civil case...) -

I was warned by the court, that I did not confer with Defendant... -

DO I Have to confer (send them a copy of the Motion before I file) with the Defendant if I am Motioning the Court to order a THIRD PARTY to do something???

Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You have to make a good faith effort to confer to see if you can resolve the issue that is subject of the motion and this can be done by sending them a letter with a copy of the UNFILED motion and tell them the letter is your good faith effort as required by the rule to resolve the matter without going to court. Tell them what you want and that you would like to hear from them within 5 business days after which time you will presume they have refused your good faith offer to negotiate and you will file the enclosed motion. That record would satisfy the requirement to confer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I may hah made a mistake yesterday -

I had sent the Defendant (email & letter) a request for documents, I stated that I would Compel the court to Force you into producing these documents -

I received NO documents, so I just filed my Motion to Compel without FIRST sending the Defendant a copy of my Motion to Compel -

Your opinion?

Thanks

If you can prove you sent the email and letter asking for the documents or you would file a motion to compel, this is an attempt to settle the matter out of court, even if you did not attach the copy of the motion, that is not essential and does not destroy the fact you did try to communicate and resolve the matter without going to court.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok -

Going back to my original question -

My Fed. Lawsuit is against, DEFENDANT (Bank) and UNKNOWN DEFENDANTS -

My Question:

I subpoenaed an UNKNOWN 3rd party -

The Subpoenaed UNKNOWN 3rd party did not respond -

I am going to Compel the UNKNOWN 3rd party -

Do I have to send the DEFENDANT (Bank) a copy of my Motion to Compel (UNKNOWN Defendts) the 3rd party?

Thank you

You send the bank a copy of the motion to compel just like you send all parties copies of all pleadings filed in the case.