INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

If you are sued by a debt buyer is it best to get a lawyer

If you are sued by a debt buyer is it best to get a lawyer or i to contact a cie to ask for a settlement out of court. Is there any way that the lawyer can win the case?If he does not win what will be the next step?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 years ago.
If you owe the debt, you are better off not hiring a lawyer and negotiating with the creditor directly. Lawyers often charge $1000 retainer in such cases and dont necessarily get you a benefit. You can negotiate directly by claiming financial hardship and possibility of filing bankruptcy, and collectors work on commission will often cut the balance and offer a payment plan too. 50% is not unheard of. If the creditor does not have supporting documents, that is one way to win the case, and you can ask the creditor first for proof of debt per the fair debt collections practices act.

Would you be so kind as to select the ACCEPT button for the answer. That is the only way I get credit for the answer by Justanswer. (even if you put a deposit or have a subscription) If you have a follow-up question, please ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. Positive Feedback & Bonus are nice ways to say "thank you" and are available options after you click ACCEPT.

I wish you a happy & healthy holiday season.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They did send a copy of the credit card bill is it the support document? Is it best to communicate with them or get a company do it for me
It is best to do it directly using the reasons I mentioned. Companies will charge you for a service you dont need and can use their fee towards paying down the debt. Good luck!! Would you be so kind as to select the ACCEPT button for the answer. That is the only way I get credit for the answer by Justanswer. (even if you put a deposit or have a subscription) If you have a follow-up question, please ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. Positive Feedback & Bonus are nice ways to say "thank you" and are available options after you click ACCEPT.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i called them once when they were asking for an amount I cannot afford per month. do you think they can decrease the amount i owe when making monthly payments
Yes, they can. You would explain you cannot make such payment, that you have very limited funds, and they cannot collect something you do not have, and you dont want to file bankruptcy which would result in them getting nothing. You can have a lawyer place a call and make that point to them if you wish too.