Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

I am moving out of an apartment, and have paid the exact amount

I am moving out of an apartment, and have paid the exact amount specified on the lease. The lease runs 54 weeks instead of 52. They say I owe one half a months rent for the extra 2 weeks, but my lease specifys a specific amount that I have already paid. What should I do?
Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
If the written lease specifies an amount and term, then that is what you owe. A written lease may not be modified except by a written amendment signed by the parties. However, do check the terms of the lease for any provision regarding partial months and prorata rent.

If it is reported on you credit you can challenge the accuracy of the report with the reporting company and provide them a copy of the lease as your evidence. By law, the reporting company must remove inaccurate report items.