Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years legal practitioner: real estate, collections, estate, civil, business, and criminal law

I recently purchased a franchise. Im concerned with the way

Customer Question

I recently purchased a franchise. I'm concerned with the way the franchisor handled the contract and exchange of money. They demanded money, before I saw the contract, $3k of $10k, and told me it was non-refundable. When we finally did sign the contract, they insisted I put a date on the contract that was months earlier, I think to cover for the fact they took money without providing a franchise disclosure. Because of how they handled the contract, is it even valid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
It is a valid contract; however, when it started is questionable.

You can agree that a contract started at an earlier date.

But obviously you can't execute a contract before you actually execute the contract - so "back-dating" of the execution date would be subject to objection certainly.

But it is a valid and binding contract.

Yes, it's odd or unreasonable to pay a franchise fee BEFORE you read the contract - you could have walked away and demanded to see the contract first.

As to "back-dating" the contract as to it's execution - by doing that - you agreed to it's terms from that date forward although, in reality, you signed/executed the contract at a later date.

Please ask for "Law Pro" if you have any further future questions!

Just Answer is a "PAY FOR SERVICE" Website. Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.