Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

I NEED TO FILE TO BECOME PERSONAL REP OF MY RECENTLY DECEASED

Customer Question

I NEED TO FILE TO BECOME PERSONAL REP OF MY RECENTLY DECEASED MOTHER. HER ESTATE LEFT NO ASSETS, NO WILL AND I AM THE ONLY NEXT OF KIN. THERE ARE INCOME TAXES TO BE FILED! MY QUESTION; DO I NEED AN ATTORNEY TO PROCEED?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. If there are no assets and no will, you have no legal obligation to do anything. If you want to become the representative so you can file her final tax return, you would petition the probate court in the county in which she resided at her death to be appointed. Each particular court varies as to whether they require you to be represented by counsel...you will need to contact the clerk at the applicable probate court.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.