Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

I recently was at Disney World in Fl. I am handicapped and

I recently was at Disney World in Fl. I am handicapped and use a scooter. An inside transportation bus driver knowingly and intentionally left me, my husband and 4 year old grandson behind at a bus stop at our resort and loaded his bus with walking passengers ignoring our party. I have a written statement that I submitted regarding the incident. When we arrived at the bus stop there were only 4 to 5 people there and we were not butting ahead. Is this a case that I can pursue?

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney and would be glad to help, but need a bit more information

Q. What do you mean by an "Inside transportation bus driver..." Was the bus owned by the resort ?

Q. After the 4 or 5 people boarded the bus, was there still room for your party ?

Q. Was the bus equipped with a lift so that your motorized scooter could be lifted onto the bus ?

thank you and I look forward to assisting you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the bus was a Disney bus and the resort was Cornado Springs, also owned by Disney. Yes there was plenty of room on the bus for my scooter and party. The bus was equipped with a lift. It was a Magic Kingdom bus enroute to a special Halloween party (which we paid $180) to attend. The bus driver saw me motion to him from my scooter when he pulled up. By the time he got there it became very busy with all the people who were going to the party. He opened the front door and ignored me and let all of the other passengers on. I went to his front door and told him he had a scooter. He ignored me, I did it again and he ignored me again. After the bus was loaded he got off the bus and came and told me his bus was full. I told him only because he didn't load my scooter was I still sitting there. I tried to explain that we were one of the first there and should have been put on that bus. He didn't care, was arrogant, told us another bus was coming (which didn't come for over 40 minutes). I told him I was going to report him and he told me "do whatever the hell you need to do". This is all documented in a signed (by transportation manager) statement that I made the next morning.
Thank you for your information and I am very sorry the driver treated you this way. He deserves to be reported because this is not the picture that Disney wishes to portray to the public and they need to know what their employees are doing and how they treat Disney Guests.

The bus driver certainly looked like he was discriminating against you because of your disability. You should write to Disney's Executive Offices, telling them what happened, how you were discriminated against, and how inconvenienced you were by this rude, uncaring bus driver who thought nothing of discriminating against you. Tell them you plan to file a lawsuit based on discrimination and that you will be sure to give your case as much publicity as possible so that other handicapped individuals will think twice before planning a trip to their Park. I am sure this will light a fire under those in authority because they do not want any bad publicity, especially nothing related to discriminating against their guests who pay good money to visit them.

If you need clarification, please let me know and I will be glad to explain further. In the meantime, kindly press "Accept" so that I may receive credit for assisting you,

Kindest Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can do that, how do I find an attorney to handle this case in Florida when I live in New York?

Thank you for your follow up question, I am listing below the Lawyer Referral Service for both the New York and Florida Bar Associations. Contact the New York Bar first because there should be a way to sue them in New York because they are considered to be doing business in New York and have, therefore, subjected themselves to the jurisdiction of the New York Courts. You might even be able to sue them in Federal District Court.

For New York:

For Florida:

Florida Bar Association, Lawyer
Referral Service Online

Phone(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Monday through Friday

8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

Kindest Regards,