D.A.M., Lawyer
Experience:  Cross-Border (US/Canada) Lawyer

Mom is on a cruise ship in ement death from her condition if

Mom is on a cruise ship in ement death from her condition if she does not get in to a hospital the cruise ship will not return to port how do I get a court order to return the ship back to port
Any suggestions would be helpful
Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  D.A.M. replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. A court will not have jurisdiction over a cruise ship as they are rarely Canadian flagged ships. A ship at sea is a piece of the sovereign territory of the flag country. If this is truly a life threatening emergency, depending on where the ship is, they should be able to arrange for a helicopter to evacuate her or a smaller vessel to remove her to shore. My recommendation is to have your lawyer call the ship's owner directly as well as the coast guard of the country in whose territorial waters the ship is in to try to coordinate a transfer.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX wishes.