How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has fractured her right hip and is in a rehab center.

Resolved Question:

My mother has fractured her right hip and is in a rehab center. I would like to know if I am liable for any of her medical expenses in the state of Oregon. DHS has had us to cash out 2 small life insurance policies to qualify her for Medicaid but stated that it has no guarantee. The money has to go to the Rehab center to pay down her account. She has maxed out her Medicare and Healthnet accounts. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Oregon City, OR
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney and registered nurse with health law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification after reviewing the following information.
  2. Please allow me to say that I am genuinely sorry for your circumstances. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX soon look brighter for both you and your mother. I am pleased to hopefully offer you some measure of reassurance and peace of mind. Unless (and only if) you signed a written agreement to be responsible for your mother's medical bills would you be so liable. Otherwise, the law imposes no such duty upon by virtue of being an adult child of your mother. This is true even if you are a person of some means. So, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you are not liable whatsoever unless you agreed so in writing (which is not the usual case).
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions