legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

Can I get credit toward my child support obligation if I purchase

Can I get credit toward my child support obligation if I purchase a car for my 17 year old son and pay his car insurance? I reside in Florida.Thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

It is possible but you will have to get a court to order that the car and insurance are credited toward your support obligation. Without the court order you are still obligated to pay the ordered support even if you do buy the car and pay the insurance. The likelihood that the court will grant this is slim unless the custodial parent is financially able to support the child, ie provide for rent, mortgage, utilities, food, clothing, etc, without the support you are paying.