Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Followup to question you answered July 3, 2010. Valid Texas

Followup to question you answered July 3, 2010. Valid Texas Driver's License moving to California. The twist is under 18 years old and going to school in CA temporarily from Aug 2011 thru May 2012. Dad in CA, Mom in TX. We understood temporary - keep Texas DL, registration and insurance. Police Officer that pulled her over says must get new license, registration and insurance and issued tickets.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
CA law states if you are residing in the state unless you are a full time college student going to school there on a temporary basis or military has to have a CA license. This includes minors who are there for 30 days or more according to DMV. CA is one of the minority of states that strictly enforces this law and the best you can do is hope for a sympathetic prosecutor who will allow you to present those mitigating factors to them and will agree to dismiss. However, by the letter of the law, it is a violation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank-you for the response. She is a full-time High School Student attending school in California for 1 school year only and returning to Texas in May. Your response mentioned College - would the same be true for High School? Any difference since she is under 18?

It says college students, not high school students, since you have to be a resident of CA to attend high school there and as she is under 18 she is a resident with her parent.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law