Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

Can I marry a retirement home resident without the consent

Customer Question

Can I marry a retirement home resident without the consent of the holder of his power of attorney, provided he is competent. I do not know what the power of attorney covers, but it would cover his pension & SS, which we will need to live on.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

The power of attorney simply gives a third party an authority to act on the grantor's behalf, and can be broad / general or limited / specific.

Power of attorney can be revoked and does not give the person designated as POA to act on behalf of the grantor, when the grantor is expressly disagreeing with the POA actions and also grantor can generally revoke POA at any time.

So as long as the grantor of the POA is competent, the person to whom the POA was given does not have any legal guardianship and cannot exercise any control over the grantor.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!