Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My rpts indicate and I asked for endoscopic brow lift. After

Customer Question

My rpts indicate and I asked for endoscopic brow lift. After waking up I realized that he did not do that procedure. I know because I am a surgical RN. He did what is known as an open procedure with 2 inch incisions on each side of my head. The odd thing is that he labelled my op rpt as endoscopic brow lift which involves tiny incisions at the top of the forehead with the content which indicates open procedure. No cameras etc. Last June I went to an atty and she said she could do the job for $3500.00. $800.00 retainer. She indicated that this would not be approached as medical malpractice, but as contract issue. She agreed that I would make payments however the balance would be due by the hearing date. I made payments and did not make regular payments over the last 6 months as she has not done anything until recently as the deadline for the filing was just recent. All along the way she kept asking me for money, and dropping hints that she needs more money. Now she is trying to find ways to pull out, trying to say that I did not mail a letter in that was needed, which I did, stating that the entire monies was the retainer when it wasnt. Just anything to toy with me and stating that she just might withdraw saying that she needs more money. What is my recourse. Can she pull out when I have a contract with her? The money she says she has received from me doesnt match what I paid her. My bank is gathering up the info. Something very odd is going on. Please advise. What a mess.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
She should have given you a written Retainer agreement. Additionally, under the rules of conduct, she is liable to provide you an itemized statement and if you disagree you have the right to present her with proof of all of the payments you made. The bar rules required her to have the written agreement and provide written itemized statements, so if she refuses you would file a complaint with the state bar. As far as her withdrawal from your case, she could do that if you file a complaint with the bar and then you would have to sue her for malpractice or breach of contract with you for taking a fee and not filing anything she promised in your case.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”