xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims

Am I required to give money to get my personal items from my

Am I required to give money to get my personal items from my car that was repo'd
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you.

When did your car get repossessed?

Do you know where the car was taken?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car was repo'd on Wednesday. I called to make arrangemnts for the personal items to be picked up right away. They gave me an address, but advised I needed to bring my keys and $50 needed to paid to get my personal items. I have been since trying to get the car back, but no luck. The bank will only take a full balance at this point. I offered to pay all past due, fees, and the next payment and they declined it.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, the answer is yes. And, not only may they charge you, they likely will. When personal property is found in a repossessed vehicle, provided it is not illegal substances or firearms, the repossessing company must take an inventory of all property. They are required to store it pursuant to the individual laws of every state, Ohio is no exception, and they may charge storage fee for that property. It is unlikely that they will release it to you until that amount is paid, and they may not release to anyone but the registered owner of the vehicle.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.