Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I share a bank account with my husband. In online banking I

I share a bank account with my husband. In online banking I can see the accounts that are titled in his name only because the bank bundles the accounts on a combined statement. I shouldn't be able to see his accounts because my name isn't on them, only on our one joint account. Do I have a lawsuit?
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am sorry, but no. This would not warrant a lawsuit because what you have described does not fall under any recognized 'cause of action' in Maryland. By 'cause of action,' I mean 'breach of contract,' 'negligence,' etc. If anything, it is he that would be able to sue for negligence, arguing that they had a duty to now show certain information. To establish a cause of action in negligence a plaintiff must prove the existence of four elements: a duty owed to him (or to a class of which he is a part), a breach of that duty, a legally cognizable causal relationship between the breach of duty and the harm suffered, and damages. Cramer v. Housing Opportunities Comm'n, 304 Md. 705, 712, 501 A.2d 35 (1985).

Here, you did not suffer any damages. If anything, you gained an unfair advantage - one that the Court would decline to view as enough to warrant a claim. I am sorry.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! Really! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.