Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

My husband has been helping his daughter and grandson with

My husband has been helping his daughter and grandson with money, food, paying for an aprartment and a vehicle including all the maintance of the vehicle for the past 10 months, after a bad relationship. she was told that all help would stop if she ever reconnected with him.. he is in and out of jail and does drugs... well she did reconnect and was stealing and doing drugs with him. the vehicle was impounded and my husband got it out... is there a way without her permission to obtain the vehicle and get a title in his name?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER = If the title is in her name she would have to agree to sign it over to your husband. His assistance was simply a gift to her and not an enforceable contract. He has no obligation to help her further but he cannot force her to sign over the vehicle. If he has placed a lien on the vehicle as a result of a loan then he could repossess the vehicle but this would have had to have been a signed note and chattel mortgage on the vehicle for him to do so.