INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I had a tenant who broke his lease and gave me his security

I had a tenant who broke his lease and gave me his security deposit. Is this okay for me to accept?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 years ago.
The deposit can be applied to the outstanding rent. You may hold tenant liable for the lease term and pursue tenant for the rest of the term or until another tenant occupies, whichever is less. Letting tenant know he is in breach and deposit is being applied should be done by letter sent by certified mail.

Would you be so kind as to select the ACCEPT button for the answer. That is the only way I get credit for the answer by Justanswer. (even if you put a deposit or have a subscription) If you have a follow-up question, please ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. Positive Feedback & Bonus are nice ways to say "thank you" and are available options after you click ACCEPT.

I wish you a happy & healthy holiday season.

l