Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

Hello, my ex boyfriend and I had gotten a dog last year before

Customer Question

Hello, my ex boyfriend and I had gotten a dog last year before we broke up. He initially bought the dog that day for 25 dollars at a shelter but I paid him in cash the next day for the dog. I have taken the dog to all of its vet visits and paid for all of his food and everything but when we broke up he decided that he was keeping the dog and will not let me have him. Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I am working on an answer to your question now. Please be patient and I will post the answer as soon as possible. This may take a little time, as it may require some research and it takes some time to type up a response.

Thank you!
Animals are generally treated as property. While it's not right, this means that the distribution of an animal is handled similarly to the way it would be for furniture, jewlery, or any other personal property. Unfortunately, animals aren't typically recognized as being more than such property under the law.
That said, regardless of who initially acquires an animal, the person who pays for the animal is generally the animal's owner unless the animal is a gift. If the other person then takes the animal and refuses to return it upon a break up, the animal's owner can file a lawsuit against the other party to recover the animal. Further, the party who wrongfully kept the animal may be liable for attorney's fees and court costs.
In some instances, a demand letter from an individual's attorney can be very effective at compelling someone do do the right thing regarding such matters.

I'm sorry that you're going through that. One animal lover to another, I hope that you get your pet back promptly and with little difficulty.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!