TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I was pulled over in Illinois where I live in my 1961 bel air

I was pulled over in Illinois where I live in my 1961 bel air with my wife and four children. I was given a ticket for each of my children for not being buckled in. I had previously called ISP for information pertaining to my automobile about the fact there were no seat belts in the rear seats. Master Sargeant of the Illinois State police looked into the situation for me and sent me information that stated in the Illinois compiled statues that states that vehicles prior to 1965 were exempt from seat belt laws. Does this override all seat belt laws or will I loose my case.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Zachary D. Norris :

The Illinois Seat Belt Law has an exception for cars older the 1965.

Zachary D. Norris :

So, you need to take proof of the age of your vehicle to court with you along with a copy of the statute. You can get a copy of the statute at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/062500050k12-603.1.htm

Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
7:25 PM
7:26 PM

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Best of Luck beating that ticket,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a copy of the statue which Illinois state police Master Sargeant gave me, so my case will be dismissed? Is that your feeling?