TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Someone took over by Post Office box with out permmision. They

Customer Question

Someone took over by Post Office box with out permmision. They claim that they had the right to the box start taking mail out of the box and had my name removed. they did this by simly filling out a form and request a name change for the box. is this Illegal?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
A post office box which is located at the post office is property of the United States government. You can enter into an agreement with the post office for the rental of the post office box. However, unless the post office agrees in written terms that it will not move you out of the box, then the post office has the right to move you to a different box.

If the post box is located on private property, then the property owner has the right to assign the post box to whomever. For example, in a multifamily living unit, the landlord will have the right to assign post boxes to the tenants at the landlords discretion.

One thing that cannot be done is tampering with the mail. You said the person took mail out of the box. If they did not deliver the mail to you and instead destroyed or otherwise withheld the mail from you, then they have committed a crime. The enforcement of criminal penalties in connection with post boxes is the post office itself.

Please let me know if this answers your question. If you need more information, please give me some more details and I'll be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I state that my them tampering with and taking mail out of the box that they have committed a crime. The enforcement of criminal penalties in connection with post boxes is the post office it self. Can this crime be brought to civil Court?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
No, there is no private cause of action for mail tampering. However, if the person who tampered with your mail actually stole the mail, then you could sue in court for conversion. But for the simple act of moving the mail, you do not have a private cause of action.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris