TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Does the Universal Commercial Code have anything to do with

Does the Universal Commercial Code have anything to do with extraditions from another country to the USA (at the latter's request)?

I have a friend who was extradited from Israel to the USA, currently sitting in jail in Chicago, in order to stand trial for being part of a major income tax fraud and money laundering ring. We are in email contact. He pointed out that it may have been illegal according to the laws of admiralty for the USA to demand his extradition. Is this true, or have the potential to be true? Thanks in advance.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Hi

Zachary D. Norris :

Are you there?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.

It looks like there are some technical difficulties with the chat function so I switched over to this forum to address your question.

The Universal Commercial Code is not applicable to extraditions. The United States and Isreal have entered into a treaty regarding extradition. You can find the treaty at:
http://internationalextraditionblog.com/2011/05/10/israel-extradition-treaty-with-the-united-states/

As your friend has already been extradited and is now in United States custody, whether the extradition was legal or not is a moot point. In other words, you can only fight extradition before the transfer takes place, not afterwards.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris