How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Department of The Army government employee working over

This answer was rated:

I am a Department of The Army government employee working over in Afghanistan, I have been told by a member of another civilian organization that he has heard bad things about me. I asked him what it was an he stated that he had heard that I had been drinking over here (Which is against the rules) and is also false. I had heard this rumor also from a former Boss and who is now a contractor working in the states.

I now have an understanding why my boss may have been having questions about my work and decisions that I have made and he has overruled.

I believe I know who may have made the allegations but can not prove it, and my Boss has not mentioned it to me. But when other organizations have knowledge of this, it effects my reputation and professionalism to a major level.

What are my options.

Hi John,
It sounds like you may have a claim for defamation that you can bring against the person making the false statements. However, before you can bring a claim, you need to find some solid evidence. This needs to be more than unsubstantiated rumors. You need someone who either directly heard the person making the false statement, or find a document which contains the false statement in it. Without that evidence, you don't have a case.

Assuming you can find that evidence or the witness, you will then have to show that the defamatory statements caused you damage. This can be in the form of economic damages (like it cost you a promotion, or you lost your job, etc) or it simply injured your reputation and was the sort of statement that would injure your reputation. Also, the statement must be absolutely false. If you have been drinking at all while in Afghanistan, and the person you accuse of defamation can prove it, then you lose your case.

Please let me know if you need any clarification of the above stated points, or whether you have any follow up questions I can answer.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If my boss does not give me the information of who stated the allegation, but people have already been told about it. My reputation is already harmed.


What else can I do. Can i get a statement from one of the people that had heard it and told me?



You have a claim for defamation against the person who first said it, and then anyone who then "republished" the defamatory statement by repeating it. If your boss has repeated the defamatory statement and that is how the people you know have heard about it, you could sue your boss for defamation. A witness statement would be useful as evidence. You said you are working for the Army, you may want to consult the JAG attorney at the base to see if they can press the claim for you in a military court or can assist you in drafting an affidavit of one of the witnesses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I work for the Army as a Department of the Army Civilian, I will have to check with JAG if the can assist. Can i still ask questions if I accept this answer.
I'm not sure. Just in case you can't, go ahead and wait to see if you have any more questions regarding this matter...I'll be happy to wait until you are satisfied for you to accept my answer.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you