TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

How long are we required to hold on to furniture rejected by

Customer Question

How long are we required to hold on to furniture rejected by a customer who told us to keep it she never wanted to see it or us again. Can we legally dispose of it?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Zachary D. Norris :

It sounds like a customer gave you some furniture and asked you to perform work on it. You performed the work then the customer rejected it when you attempted to deliver. Is this correct?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
Looks like you are not online any more. I'll try to provide you with a thorough answer.

You performed work and the customer did not pay you and left you with the furniture. The customer told you that they did not want the furniture back. The fact that you have kept the furniture for several months without any contact from the customer shows that you are in good faith and you can consider the furniture abandoned. In fact, you have a claim against the customer for refusing to pay for your work. You could technically sale the furniture to make up for your loss on not being paid.

Please let me know if this answers your question or whether you have any other issues I can address regarding this matter.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris