TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

How do you Bequeath your body to a Medical facility or School

How do you : Bequeath your body to a Medical facility or School in Texas?
Where do we get Donor cards in Texas? Can you donate organs if you are over 65 years of age? If we do our own will and living trust is it enough to just have it witnessed and signed by a notary or does it have to be legally done with an attorney? We live in a retirement community and during a discussion yesterday, all of the above questions were asked.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
To donate your body for medical schools or other research facilities, the best way to do it would be to contact the specific facility to which you would like to donate and request whether they have any specific procedures they need you to follow. You can use the forms at the following link for whole body donations:

To donate your organs, you need to register as an organ donor. You can register by going to Texas' official registry at:

To make sure that your whole body donation and organ donation are protected for certain, you need to place this in a will.

To make a will in Texas, you don't have to have a lawyer. Unless you have a very complicated estate, it is perfectly acceptable to make your own or to use a form. I would recommend that you use a form so that you can make sure that all the necessary information is there.

In Texas, in order to prove a will up in probate court, you have to have someone come in and testify that the will was written by you and that it was the last will that you had written. That person will have to show that they were familiar with your handwriting. The easiest way to do this is to have at least three people come in and witness you sign the will. Having a notary is always good too. This is all that is required under the Texas Probate Code to prove up a will in Texas probate courts. Take a look at this article which has a good explanation:

The easiest to use Will forms are found on However, you will also be able to find general Will & Testament forms just by doing a search for one using

Please let me know if you need any further help and thank you for requesting me specifically.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris