TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Hello,I am getting a small amount every month from my deceased

Hello,I am getting a small amount every month from my deceased wifes brinks master trust fund. Is it possible to get more per month or just collect all thats in the account.I did sign up for monthly payments but didnt know they would be 100.00 a month.Its thru J.P morgan. Thank you
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
Depending on the terms of the trust, you may be able to terminate it early and collect a lump sum. However, the trust terms may prohibit this. You need to obtain the trust agreement and look whether there is any language in it which would control a settlement.

In any case, it is likely the case that any lump sum which you are able to obtain will be at a lesser amount than the trust would eventually pay out.

If the payment is coming from an annuity, then this will definitely be true. A settlement will be for a much lesser amount.

Your other avenue to receive a lump sum is to contact an annuity purchasing company. You can google "sell my annuity" and it will pull up companies which will purchase your right to the $100 per month payment in exchange for a lump sum.

Your first step will be obtaining the trust agreement which governs your late wife's trust fund.

Please let me know if you need further information on this subject.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris