TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Can a Hotel release reservation information about me to just

Can a Hotel release reservation information about me to just anyone without my consent?

Most hotels have a policy against releasing information about guests or reservations to third parties. However, a hotel only has a legal duty to not release information that is confidential (such as your credit card number). If a hotel releases information to a third party, such as when you might be staying at the hotel, what room you would be in, or what your contact information is, the hotel has probably not broken the law. While it is a bad business practice, it is not illegal unless it rises to the level of negligence. What I mean by that is if the hotel had a reason to know that if they released the information it could cause you damage, and they created a belief in you that the information would not be released, then you might have a lawsuit. Please let me know if I have answered your question or have any other questions regarding this matter that I can help you with.

Best Regards,
Zachary D Norris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If such a Hotel does have a privacy policy of not releasing information to a third party and one of their employees did otherwise , would that be breach of contract and is there a lawsuit?

Most likely not, unless it was some how assumed into the hotel contract by reference in an agreement which you signed. Generally, the terms of the guest agreement will be stated somewhere on the registration form you sign when you check into the hotel. Not all hotels do this the same. Some hotels have you sign a registration card which then gives reference to the terms and conditions which would form the contract between you and the hotel. You may have to actually request this document as the terms and conditions were never actually made known to you. While this may seem unfair, this is known as a contract of adhesion, and when they are acted upon, anything that is remotely unfair to the consumer will be construed against the hotel in connection with a dispute. So, again, a breach of contract action will not be generally possible unless the privacy policy was made part of the terms and conditions of the contract/registration you signed when you checked in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you and this was better explained than from the last attorney that also answered this same question. Thank you for the detail explanation.
I'm glad I could help. Please let me know if there is any other information you need. Good luck on resolving your dispute.