TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have a question about financial fraud. I live Las Vegas and

I have a question about financial fraud. I live Las Vegas and I embezzled money from a company I worked for 2 1/2 years ago. I paid back everything I took so as to not press charges against me. I wrote a contract stating that all moneys owed was paid back and was signed by the company's GM. Is there a statute of limitations? Can they still press charges against me? When they found out I was hired at another company the owner of the previous company setup a meeting with my current boss to tell him what I had done and not to hire me although I was hired anyway.
The statute of limitation is three years in Nevada. The company can still press charges against you even though you returned the money which was taken. This is because even though they signed a release, that does not take away the State's right to prosecute. Although they have released you from the civil prosecution, they can still tell your current or future employers about your misdeed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if I do get charged, what is the likely punishment if pursued by the state? I have never done anything like this before. If it's something like a first offense, what would I be looking at?
Depending on the amount you stole and the amount times you embezzeled, you could be facing as much as five years. As it is your first offense, and you gave the money back and showed contrition, it's more likely that you would be able to get off with probation if you hire a criminal defense attorney.