Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I would like to know if anyone can get a email address with

Customer Question

I would like to know if anyone can get a email address with lawyer.com

How can I verify this person is real lawyer or not.

Expert:  Zachary replied 2 years ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Hi, in what jurisdiction does the person say he/she is in who claims to be a lawyer on Lawyers.com?

Customer:

he has a email address lawyer.com not lawyers.com

Zachary D. Norris :

OK...does he say where he is a lawyer?

Customer:

Thanks for helping out

Customer:

he is in Malaysia not sure where he is a lawyer. can anyone can get a lawyer.com

Customer:

email address?

Zachary D. Norris :

no worries...if he represents where he is a lawyer, then you can look him up in the roles of the local/state/provinces bar association.

Zachary D. Norris :

As far as that goes, I'm not certain what the criteria are.

Zachary D. Norris :

Let me take a look at the website and see if I can tell.

Customer:

I just want to know if it is anyone can get a email with lawyer.com

Zachary D. Norris :

ok...give me a second...I'm reviewing their website to see if they verify legal qualifications

Customer:

or only qualified lawyer can have

Customer:

Thank you... you are wonderful

Zachary D. Norris :

OK...I can see right away that they will allow "office managers" to register on the site.

Zachary D. Norris :

That means that anyone can get on their and claim to be a lawyer and get an email address from them.

Zachary D. Norris :

Are you facing some sort of scam?

Customer:

so it is not offical legal website

Customer:

yes

Zachary D. Norris :

No...it's not an official site. It's a site that is supposed to be used by lawyers or law firms to advertise to people.

Zachary D. Norris :

It looks like anyone can pay to get an account with them

Zachary D. Norris :

So, the person claiming to be a lawyer may have simply registered and opened an account to try to make it seem like he is legitimate

Zachary D. Norris :

If I may...what is he trying to convince you to do?

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

ask me to pay money to help a business

Zachary D. Norris :

That doesn't sound like something a lawyer would be doing.

Customer:

ok.

Zachary D. Norris :

I'd be very very sceptical of what he is asking if I were you

Customer:

I told him that I have not money to help. but he said he is going to ask thebuyer to put some money into my account to help the business transition

Zachary D. Norris :

Ah ha...that's definitely a scam.

Zachary D. Norris :

He's going to ask for your bank account information and then will extract money from it.

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm not exactly sure how it will work, but that sounds like the common theme of such a scam.

Customer:

but I have his phone in Malaysia and mobile phone as well

Zachary D. Norris :

Even so...why would he ask you?

Customer:

I don't have any money in my bank account

Zachary D. Norris :

How did he contact you?

Customer:

via my email and my mobile phone

Customer:

He also has my copy of my drive lience

Customer:

I am scare now

Zachary D. Norris :

OK. Whatever you do, do not give him your bank account information.

Zachary D. Norris :

What other personal information does he have?

Customer:

my address and my drive licence

Customer:

Please help me

Zachary D. Norris :

OK. I advise you to start monitoring your credit.

Customer:

they don't have my credit card

Zachary D. Norris :

Yes, but he has some of your personal information. He could attempt to use this to open up a credit card account. Or to try to gain access to other information about you which would allow him to open up a credit account

Customer:

Do you think they use my personal information to open a new credit card

Zachary D. Norris :

It's possible

Customer:

So I do need to concell my licnece

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm not certain how it would work in Australia, but in the US, you can contact credit agencies and put a hold on your credit

Zachary D. Norris :

No...I don't think you need to go that far.

Zachary D. Norris :

Do AustralXXXXX XXXXXcenses have your tax id or government ID number on them?

Customer:

no, just my name and my address and my drive licence no & date of birth

Zachary D. Norris :

ok. I don't recommend cancelling the drivers license. Just monitor your credit record and if possible contact the Australian credit agencies and ask them to put a "fraud alert" on your account.

Customer:

ok, any suggestions??

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm looking right now to see if I can determine who you should talk to.

Zachary D. Norris :

hold please...

Zachary D. Norris :

Go to this website:

Zachary D. Norris :

It has a list of credit agencies in Australia

Zachary D. Norris :

check each site and see if they have any sort of "fraud protection" program you can sign up for.

Zachary D. Norris :

Also, alert your bank that you have a potential fraudster who is trying to access your accounts

Customer:

Do I just ask my bank put on hold

Zachary D. Norris :

No. Just tell them what is going on and ask them to put an alert on your account.

Zachary D. Norris :

Also, check out this website:

Customer:

ok

Zachary D. Norris :

It has some information about how to get a credit report

Zachary D. Norris :

A credit report will tell you whether anyone has opened a credit account without your authorization

Zachary D. Norris :

If you monitor it, you can protect your self by timely disputing any unauthorized credit accounts

Zachary D. Norris :

It may also provide you with information on how to put a fraud alert on your credit history

Customer:

In Australia, to be able to open a new credit card. this person need hav 100 points I dont; think they can do in Australia

Zachary D. Norris :

Hopefully that is true. But with someone who is "after you" so to speak, it's best to keep an eye out on your report just to be safe

Customer:

but no sure if US

Zachary D. Norris :

Credit fraud is one of the most common crimes

Zachary D. Norris :

worldwide

Zachary D. Norris :

Do you have any credit links in the US?

Customer:

Do I dont'

Zachary D. Norris :

OK. Then just monitor your Aussie credit

Customer:

I am scare now

Zachary D. Norris :

Well...the best thing I can tell you is that it sounds like you've caught the would be lawyer in his scam before you've given him your bank account info

Zachary D. Norris :

As that is the case, it is likely that you won't have any problems

Zachary D. Norris :

But just keep an eye on your credit history to protect yourself.

Zachary D. Norris :

Is there any reason you think this person would be able to physically contact you in Australia?

Customer:

he said he would come with the germstones

Customer:

I am stupid. trust someone online.

Zachary D. Norris :

Well...it sounds like a creative scam to say the least.

Zachary D. Norris :

I don't think anything else will happen to you.

Zachary D. Norris :

And people fall for scams all the time...you are not the first and you won't be the last

Zachary D. Norris :

Don't beat yourself up over it

Zachary D. Norris :

However, if you have any concerns for your safety or see something suspicious, then alert the local police

Zachary D. Norris :

Is there anything further I can do for you?

Customer:

well, he said he is going to ask the buyer to put the deposit into my bank account. The person I contacted. The email from Afgenistan. I trace the email ID and it was from Saudi Araba

Customer:

Do you think I should report to the police

Zachary D. Norris :

You can try...since you are dealing with someone internationally, you should contact the Australian federal police.

Zachary D. Norris :

There may be a "cyber" crimes division which could assist you further.

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Zachary D. Norris :

Good luck!

Customer:

you have a good day!!!

Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Expert:  Zachary replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Please approve payment for my services and feel free to leave me any feed back so that I can improve my services or so that other customers know that I did a good job. Thanks,
ZDN