Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Experienced attorney; contracts, internet, business, finance, employment, RE, consumer, & more.
2911261

Jane, I have a personal request that I would like your assistants

Jane, I have a personal request that I would like your assistants on. The UOP is telling me I need to take an additonal 4 classes in order to recieve my diploma. They are telling me that these classes are required by the state of MN. They also, stated that my financial aid/student loans would not cover these classes as they are not part of my program. I need to find out what is true and what if not.
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 5 years ago.

Jane T (LLC) :

Hi that looked more like a legal question than a writing one, so I switched the category. Can you tell me what you would like me to help with - the financial coverage part or the state requirements part?

Customer:

Both.. I currently have 117 credits and need 120 to graduate.

Jane T (LLC) :

Okay - what is your degree to be in? Do you know if your state requires you to be licensed to work in that field?

Customer:

The degree is a BSBM.. Business Management.

Jane T (LLC) :

For the financial side - are you getting federal financial student aid or another type?

Customer:

federal

Jane T (LLC) :

Is it a military program or a federal guaranteed loan anyone can get?

Customer:

just the FASA

Customer:

I get 12,500 a year

Jane T (LLC) :

Okay - I will see what I can learn about this and then give you what I find out and will likely provide some state and federal agencies for you to contact.

Customer:

I have thought about contact the MN attorney general's office.

Customer:

Can I give you copies of my transcripts and documents I have

Customer:

for you to review

Jane T (LLC) :

That may be a good idea, the AGs offices can usually offer a great deal of information. I would not collect such personal information as all data on JA is public.

Customer:

Once we find out what is true and what is not can you help me craft a letter?

Jane T (LLC) :

I can help you edit one, but not write it.

Customer:

ok

Be back later with your answer.

The Minnesota Office of Higher Education is the state agency that licenses private colleges in the state and they set the requirements for them. They also provide information about degree requirements needed to graduate with a degree and indicate that their office seeks to protect consumers attending a postsecondary school. The list of the degree requirements for a baccalaureate degree are here where you can see how your course work matches. As you can see, the list does not indicate specific courses, but categories and types of courses needed. The Minnesota Office of Higher Education supervises the meeting of these standards, the work of the schools they license, and several types of aid. You can contact them to get assistance regarding what you have been told about financial aid coverage and courses needed - you can reach them by phone or online as indicated here.

Financial aid, unless there are some restrictions on it, normally covers costs for all courses taken at a school, whether or not a course is in a specific program is not normally a requirement, particularly where a course is mandatory for graduation -, but exceptions may exist. You can contact not only the MN Office of Higher Education about this aspect but also the U.S. Department of Education's financial aid offices as indicated here to find out the specific coverage your type of aid provides and may even want to consider contacting the U.S. Dept. of Education's Office of Inspector General (OIG) Hotline here to report any concerns or issues you may have if you believe fraud is occurring, they may also be able to provide more information about what financial aid covers and what it does not.