INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

In Nov. of 2009 I took on a partner. She was to pay me $5000.00

In Nov. of 2009 I took on a partner. She was to pay me $5000.00 to buy into my business. She signed a promissory note in Nov. of 2009 for $5000.00 due on or before Nov, 2010 to me. Being that she has not paid and is in default can I take back her interest in the company?
Good morning.

I am sorry that your partner has taken advantage your generous investment terms.

You have a couple of options. You can pursue a claim for breach of agreement and file a civil lawsuit to recover. This can be done without a lawyer in small claims court or through a lawyer if you prefer. The other option is to void the agreement and declare the person a non partner in the business. This can be done by letter if there is no formal partnership agreement and if the partner consents, you may want to have the partner sign off consenting to canceling the arrangement. If there was an agreement making the person a partner formally and the partner wont agree to surrender interest in the business, you would need to sue to void the agreement on basis of non performance.

Thank you very much for the question. Kindly select the ACCEPT button for the answer - that is the only way I get credit for it by JA. (even if you have deposit or a subscription)

If I can clarify anything for you before accepting, please ask me - happy to do it.

Providing positive feedback and a bonus are not required but are nice ways to say "thank you" and are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You for you rapid response
My pleasure!!