Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP OF NJ DISABLED CHILD - PARENTS ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS... 1.

LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP OF NJ DISABLED CHILD - PARENTS ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS...

1. PARENTS ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN NEW JERSEY
2. PARENTS ESTABLISHED NJ RESIDENTS AND CHILDREN HAVE
BEEN IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM SINCE BIRTH
3. SEVERELY DISABLED DAUGHTER IS 18 AND LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP
MUST BE ESTABLISHED - OTHER THAN CHILD'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
ETC.

WHAT WILL BE REQUIRED FOR PARENT TO ESTABLISH GUARDIANSHIP OF THIS
CHILD
The main problem here is the parents being illegal immigrants and if they file an action in the court, which they have the right to do, they will likely face deportation from the US and the court will not rule on the guardianship. This is going to require an immigration attorney first to try to deal with the illegal immigration status before anything. If the immigration status cannot be handled, then the parents would not be able to file for the guardianship and there would have to be another relative who is over 18 who would have to apply for the guardianship in the court and file a petition for guardianship over an adult in the court. If the immigration issue can be handled, then the parents can apply for the guardianship in the same manner.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANK YOU. XXXXX OPEN A CAN OF WORMS WITH IMMIGRATION? DOESN'T GUARDIANSHIP ONLY GETS PROCESSED AT THE COUNTY LEVEL IN NEW JERSEY? WHAT IS REQUIRED TO BE PRESENTED TO ESTABLISH GUARDIANSHIP? IS CITIZENSHIP A REQUIREMENT? I'M THINKING THAT CITIZENSHIP WAS NOT REQUIRED TO REGISTER THE CHILD IN SCHOOL AND TO BE PART OF A FEDERAL ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM SO AS TO OBTAIN SERVICES RELATED TO HER DISABILITY?

Yes, it will open a can of worms for immigration in most cases and you need to be prepared for that. Citizenship proof will be required by the courts. Guardianship is a bit different because the court needs to establish the guardian will be able to care for the child, which they cannot do if they get deported.