Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I am a 74 y.o who cashed in her $6000.00 account with H.D.

I am a 74 y.o who cashed in her $6000.00 account with H.D. Investments Services as I could no longer add to this account. They were going to start charging me $60.00 a year for this. Now, I am wondering what I can do to keep from paying taxes on this. Can I put it in and account marked "burial"? Any suggestions?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Good morning. When you say you cashed it in....what was it invested in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mutual Funds
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, you will be taxed on any gain, but only on the $6,000 less your basis and since you usually pay tax on the internal gains within mutual funds on an annual basis which increases your basis, you are not likely to have a large gain. And, presuming you have held these for at least 12 months...if you are in the 0% to 15% marginal income tax bracket, you would have no tax; otherwise your tax rate would be 15%. It doesn't make any difference what you do with the money after you have sold it...that won't eliminate your gain. I'm sorry!

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply g information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.