How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question

Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 51890
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi!About five years ago I met a client who became a de facto

Resolved Question:

About five years ago I met a client who became a de facto partner. I rent a location in his building and incorporated in 2008. He bought from me at time and we swap rent for merchandise at others. when business did not go well I decided to leave but he advised me not to. in 2009 he arbitrarily closed my gallery (I then owed many month in rent but at the same time I was negotiating a 60,000 deal for him, having paid him in the past as much as $45,000 cash for only one piece of antique that I had appraised and sold for him). Anyway when he arbitrarily closed my gallery I understood that that I had been played all along. However I had valuable properties in my gallery so I hired a lawyer. He refused to take all her mails. Recently I am told he got rid of my merchandise (or sold them). I initially went to a precinct (2009). The admitting officer had refused to take my report saying that it was a landlord and tenant case that belonged to court. It is clear that I have been sand-bag and booby trap all along (including computer hacking. Problem is he kept all the evidence that w3ere in my office space in the gallery). He has now open a gallery identical to mine at the same location and is dealing with my former customers and business associates. What would you advise at this point knowing that he is still engaging in character assassination creating a vacuum around me? I must say that I have been ill in the last couple years and moving is very difficult.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 3 years ago.
Good morning. I am terribly sorry for this turn of events but you have raised several issues here and I think you can take action.

First, he cannot simply keep all of your property and sell it. If he has done so and you owe rent, then you may demand an accounting for proceeds, and then recover the difference as a practical solution.

This can be done by lawyer demand as well as a lawsuit for an accounting and recovery of items

The police usually do not intervene in these cases and prefer you pursue it by negotiation and civil court action. is a good source and you want a business lawyer to pursue this on commission fee if possible.

His opening a business is not actionable, unless he had signed a non compete with you. If you worked as partners, you can pursue a claim that he violated his duty of loyalty and good faith, but its a difficult argument if not a formal corporation or similar organization

He cannot defame you by spreading alse information. That can be stopped by a a lawyer cease and desist letter followed by a lawsuit for an injunction and damages.

Thank you very much for the question. Kindly select the ACCEPT button for the answer - that is the only way I get credit for it by JA. (even if you have deposit or a subscription)


If I can clarify anything for you before accepting, please ask me - happy to do it.


Providing positive feedback and a bonus are not required but are nice ways to say "thank you" and are greatly appreciated.


Justanswer also lets you ask for me specifically in the future simply by putting in the subject of a new question "For Infolawyer"

Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 51890
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
INFOLAWYER and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions