lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

My wife is told me she is filing for divorce, but wont tell

My wife is told me she is filing for divorce, but won't tell me the name of her lawyer. Also, she is telling me if I don't send her so many thousands of dollars per month she will begin selling all of my personal property, tools and other things I own of value. Is there any way to stop her from doing this? I already send her from 4 to 5,000 per month and pay the mortgage and other large bills too. What can she do if I refuse to send any more money unless she sends me some of my belongings? I am working over seas and can't return to protect my things.
Expert:  lwpat replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

Since you are overseas there is little that you can do unless you have someone that you can trust to retrieve your items. How long have you been married and are there any minor children? Do you have anyone you could name as power of attorney?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two children, one 15 and one 18, both still in school. Married 25 years, I do have someone I trust to give POA but my understanding is, if she refuses to help or let them in the house to get the items, there is nothing they can do, is this true?
Expert:  lwpat replied 2 years ago.
I do have someone I trust to give POA but my understanding is, if she refuses to help or let them in the house to get the items, there is nothing they can do, is this true?

With this long term of a marriage, you are going to have to pay alimony and child support. You can retain an attorney and he can file in court and ask the judge to allow your POA to take possession of your personal property for protection. The judge will usually allow that to happen or at least for there to be an inventory and she would be responsible for any missing items. Before you do anything you may want to engage a private investigator to find out is she is involved with someone else. good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If she can work, why alimoney?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If she can work, why alimony? And. can I get a POA to secure my property without filing for divorce or separation first?
Expert:  lwpat replied 2 years ago.
Here are the factors for alimony
If the parties are not in agreement, the court may order maintenance for a limited or indefinite period of time, in gross or in installments, as may be just and necessary without regard to which of the parties is in fault; an award of maintenance must fairly allocate the economic effect of dissolution of marriage by being based on a consideration of the following factors: (A) the length of the marriage and station in life of the parties during the marriage; (B) the age and health of the parties; (C) the earning capacity of the parties, including their educational backgrounds, training, employment skills, work experiences, length of absence from the job market, and custodial responsibilities for children during the marriage; (D) the financial condition of the parties, including the availability and cost of health insurance; (E) the conduct of the parties, including whether there has been unreasonable depletion of marital assets; (F) the division of property under (4) of this subsection; and (G) other factors the court determines to be relevant in each individual case. Alaska Dissolution Statutes- Sections: 25-24-165, 25.24.230

You will pay alimony due to the length of marriage and that you are the wage earner. If you can show she is involved with someone that will help.

You will have to file and get a judicial order.
lwpat, Attorney
Experience: Actively practicing trial attorney