INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

When I cannot locate a person who I want to file a police report

When I cannot locate a person who I want to file a police report as well as civil law suit, can I use sources such as newspaper or facebook? I am thinking of running ads or send her facebook friends a message looking for her. Is it against law? This person is a foreigner and even a private investigator I talked to cannot guarantee if he can locate this person.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 years ago.
Good morning. Finding a defendant for a lawsuit is not an easy talk and one that lawyers as well work hard on using outside resources. You are by law entitled to serve the person at last known address. If you do not have such an address, you may engage in some investigation. This can include asking friends, facebook contacts, searching online directories and search sites including lexis.com comprehensive person search tool. You do want to avoid discussing the claim with them people you speak to so that there is no claim you slandered the person even if you what you say is 100% true. Best of luck and have a nice weekend.

Thank you very much for the question. Kindly select the ACCEPT button for the answer - that is the only way I get credit for it by JA. (even if you have deposit or a subscription)

If I can clarify anything for you before accepting, please ask me - happy to do it.

After you click accept Justanswer gives you the option of leaving positive feedback and a bonus. These are nice ways to say "thank you" and are greatly appreciated. Justanswer also lets you ask for me specifically in the future simply by putting in the subject of a new question "For Infolawyer"