N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

Using you analytical opinion... If you could enact legislation

Using you analytical opinion...

If you could enact legislation what would you legislate, why is your legislation needed and what results do you foresee from your legislation?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 years ago.
I think Congress would pass a law clarifying that the President has no legal authority to order the murder of a US citizen, as the current President has done, see which states:

What’s most striking about this is not that the U.S. Government has seized and exercised exactly the power the Fifth Amendment was designed to bar (“No person shall be deprived of life without due process of law”), and did so in a way that almost certainly violates core First Amendment protections (questions that will now never be decided in a court of law). What’s most amazing is that its citizens will not merely refrain from objecting, but will stand and cheer the U.S. Government’s new power to assassinate their fellow citizens, far from any battlefield, literally without a shred of due process from the U.S. Government.

"The assassination of Anwar Al-Awlaki by American drone attacks is the latest of many affronts to domestic and international law," said Vince Warren, Executive Director of the Center for Constitutional Rights. "The targeted assassination program that started under President Bush and expanded under the Obama Administration essentially grants the executive the power to kill any U.S. citizen deemed a threat, without any judicial oversight, or any of the rights afforded by our Constitution. If we allow such gross overreaches of power to continue, we are setting the stage for increasing erosions of civil liberties and the rule of law."

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for accepting my answer.
Just fyi, Reuters just posted an article about this, see