Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I potentially have a case of tortious interference with a business

I potentially have a case of tortious interference with a business relationship in Illinois. How are awards calculated in these type of cases? Is there a punitive component too?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Contrary to popular belief there are no accurate ways to calculate damages. We can guess, but it is so fact intensive that even an educated guess is just a guess.

However, some of your damages are pretty easy to quantify, such as lost business, lost wages, and any property damage. Things like mental anguish, pain and suffering and punitive damages are harder.

Punitive damages can be a component but juries don't award them very often and my position is that if you don't have a SOLID case showing an ill will or maliciousness then you shouldn't try for them because a jury will think you're over reaching and give you less on your other damages.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.