Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

I was riding a bicycle on the public road, when I saw a truck

I was riding a bicycle on the public road, when I saw a truck parked on the red curb delivering parts to the car dealership right across of it. So I rode on to the sidewalk so I won't be hit by the car if I would have went on the road. There was a sidewalk damage right in front of the dealership I hit it with my bike's front wheel and fell. While I was falling I hit my shoulder on the parked car. The car belonged to the dealership and I dented the fender. I do not have renters insurance and dealership called me and demanded I pay $1350 for the repairs. They call at 7:10 am my time trying to collect $1350. Is there anything I can legally do to protect myself? Or am I liable for $1350, and if I do not have enough money to pay for it because I am a college student what can I do?
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 5 years ago.

Your defense is that the defective sidewalk caused the accident and they are responsible for the maintenance of the sidewalk. On that basis not only are you not liable for their car damage but you are going to sue them for your injuries and pain and suffering.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem is when I called a local lawyer he said that because the sidewalk is next to the large road, the city would be responsible for it not the dealership, thus I can't really blame them.
The adjacent land owner is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk. See Cal. Streets and Highway Code Section 5610. Therefor the defense I gave you is valid.