Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Can a traffic accident victim sue an American Indian nation

Can a traffic accident victim sue an American Indian nation for damages in state court, based on the allegation that the nation's employee was the driver of the car that caused the damages?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, a tribe can be liable in state court for damages from an accident that happens on a state roadway. See: Strate v. A-1 Contractors, 520 U.S. 438 at note 53(1997).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the case. Interesting. In that case, though, wasn't that a tribal court and the action against a nonmember? What if it is a state court action (not tribal) and the action is against the member or the tribe itself (rather than a nonmember)? I realize this is a really specific question - sorry
In the footnote, they state that the state would have rights over accidents on state roads and if they drive on state roads they subject themselves to state authority. No matter whether it was a tribe employee or not, in order to hold the tribe liable it has to be a tribe vehicle and if he was driving that vehicle on a state road, the state court has authority.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. My apologies again, but I'm not finding the footnote - if you have it handy, would you please send me a quote of the language from it?
But [a tribe's inherent power does not reach] beyond what is necessary to protect tribal self-government or to control internal relations." 450 U. S., at 564. Neither regulatory nor adjudicatory authority over the state highway accident at issue is needed to preserve "the right of reservation Indians to make their own laws and be ruled by them." at p.459