Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

Husband emptied out bank account before filing for divorce.

Customer Question

Husband emptied out bank account before filing for divorce. I have no idea what he did with the money. It looks obvious because he took out huge amounts of money three months prior to asking me for a divorce. Today I went to the bank to get money to pay my lawyer her retainer and there is hardly any money left. Can a judge ask him where that money is and have him pay me half of it? What legal recourse do I have if any?
Expert:  Sam replied 5 years ago.

Sam :

Sam :

If there was a joint account, then yes. You may have your attorney do a deposition and ask questions about the money in the account. A court can order the spouse to provide the information. If it comes down to it, marital property can be split so that you would get a larger share to make up for any loss your attorney is able to show pertaining to the joint account

Sam :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck