Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

would it be a violation if a healthcare worker took a picture

would it be a violation if a healthcare worker took a picture of an injury and the patient was not identifiable and the patient did not consent?
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

I assume you are referring to a violation of HIPAA. If so, I would suggest that no, this action would not be a violation of this federal legislation. For HIPAA to apply, the disclosed information must constitute a medical record or some other form of health care data that relates to the evaluation or treatment of the individual. Here, we are talking about a photograph, something that would not typically constitute a medical record or data relating to evaluation or treatment.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.