GoLaw
GoLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with eight years of experience in business law and landlord-tenant law.
15133235

Hi I have a question about how do you go about getting a power

Customer Question

Hi I have a question about how do you go about getting a power of attorney? My dad just became sickly and he 80 years old, although he’s doing well now his condition will get worse and at some point he will need someone to do his financial business as well as make medical decisions for him. We live in Columbus Ohio.
Expert:  GoLaw replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please keep in mind that this is a public forum and information posted here is not confidential.

Having a Power of Attorney prepared before you need one is always a good idea. The Ohio code sets forth a form for the power of attorney, although you can use whatever form you desire. You can review the form here: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1337.18. The descriptions of the powers granted in the power of attorney are set forth here: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1337.18. Not all of the powers have to be granted. The form must be executed before a notary public.

The power of attorney grants the appointed person powers regarding financial and property affairs, but does not grant powers related to health care decisions. For that, a health care power of attorney must be executed. The form is available from the Ohio Bar Association (http://www.co.lucas.oh.us/documents/Recorder/Health%20Care%20POA.pdf) The Health Care Power of Attorney form must be either executed before a notary or witnessed by someone other than the person appointed therein.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have one more question and I didn't know if I accept your answer first if it would end the secession if so I will accept first. Q. If I have power of attorney for him dose that make me reasonable for his bill?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  GoLaw replied 5 years ago.
Acting as someone's power of attorney does not make that person responsible for the bill. The only way that someone acting under a power of attorney would be liable would be if that person misused your funds, i.e. bought himself a new car with your money.