Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If the state health dept is called by an individual, and claims

If the state health dept is called by an individual, and claims asbestos dust which did not exist. Can the State force the building, which is a 23 story condominium which was built in 1963 and has been occupied all these yrs. The issue is sprayed popcorn ceilings in both common areas as well as individual units, the stat is requiring to be abated The Association is now bing forced by Dallas code to up grade the fire alarm system in common areas as well as indivdual units. We are talking about a 2-3 % possible asbestos issue in the popcorn, that when removed is sprayed with water and soap and clumps when it falls. Over the past 45 yrs the popcorn has been removed in various areas with no problems. To spend exorbidant amount of money for this is a rip off. Is there any way not to have to do this.. Thanks al steiner
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Actually, yes, the health department and building inspector can mandate the remediation of any asbestos as a hazardous. The fire code upgrades can also be mandated under the government's right to regulate health and safety of the residents. This is a big issue in older buildings. Unfortunately, the Association will have to bear the costs and these costs of remediation are going to have to be paid by the members of the association and the board will have to pass an assessment onto the members. This is something that you cannot appeal unless you are appealing that there are no violations.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Either get me a proper answer , a different attornry that is an enviormental atty in tx or refund my deposit
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.